8th UF Water Institute Symposium
The UF Water Institute partnered with Duke Energy to host the 8th biennial UF Water Institute Symposium on February 22-23, 2022.
The Symposium brought together scientists, practitioners, policy experts and more to explore complex water issues and solutions from diverse perspectives. Over 400 participants gathered in person (many for the first time since the 2020 Symposium) to share the latest innovative science, technology, education, policy, and management advances. The Keynote Presentation was provided by Dr. Margaret Palmer, Distinguished University Professor at the University of Maryland, College of Park and Director of the National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center. Over 230 contributed oral and poster presentations were provided on the following themes:
- Water Quality Drivers and Impacts on Public, Wildlife and Ecosystem Health
- Water Availability, Valuation, Allocation and Reuse
- Climate Change and Sea Level Rise Impacts on Ecosystems and Communities
- Water Governance and Environmental Justice
The Symposium’s Final Plenary Session, entitled Climate Resilience in a Ground Zero State, provided a venue for leading scientists, engineers, water managers and policy makers representing agriculture, the environment, water management, and academic interests to discuss what climate resilience means for Florida’s water sector. In Florida, climate change is already disrupting local communities, economies, infrastructure, ecosystems and human health – but how might these systems persist or adapt in the wake of this disruption? Panel members discussed initiatives, opportunities, and timeframes for developing water-related resilience in the face of climate impacts.
To view the 8th UF Water Institute Symposium oral presentations, posters and other program highlights see the links below:
- Oral Presentations and Abstracts – View oral presentation abstracts and available PDF presentations
- Poster Abstracts – View poster abstracts and available PDF posters
- Poster Session Awards – View the Student Award Winning posters!
- Student Diversity Scholarship Program - Learn more about the program and meet the students
- TESI Environmental Leaders Fellowship – Learn more about our partnership
Click the button below to view the 2022 Water Institute Symposium Photo Gallery
Sign up to get up-to-date Water Institute Symposium information and announcements delivered to your inbox.