Call for Session Proposals
Proposal Submission Deadline: Passed
The Program Committee looks to the science and restoration community to build the agenda and you are invited to propose a session related to your expertise. If you wish to submit a proposal, keep the conference theme “Adapting Science and Management in a Changing World” in mind as you develop your idea. Subject matter typically featured at GEER is listed on the Topics Page, however, we want to capture all emerging issues and new ideas.
GEER will be conducted on the Zoom platform and spread over a two-week period to minimize screen-time fatigue and to allow the maximum number of presentations on Everglades science. All sessions will be recorded and published on the GEER web site and paid registrants will receive password-protected access for one year.
Session Format Options:
- Standard Format: Six 15-minute talks (to be scheduled Tuesday & Thursday, April 20 & 22, AND April 27 & 29)
- Lightning Format: Eight 5-minute talks w/a max of five slides each (to be scheduled Wednesday, April 21 and 28)
Please Note: When contacting potential speakers and before submitting your proposal, verify availability for all possible dates.
Important Requirements for Organizing a Session:
- Propose a single Standard or Lightning Talk session with no multiple parts.
- Consider speakers with a broad range of experience that promotes diversity with respect to gender, race, age, and other underrepresented groups.
- Communicate all Speaker Requirements (PDF) (and see below) to potential presenters before submitting a proposal and after the session is approved.
- Indicate format and scheduling preferences (Week 1 or 2) when submitting your proposal (no guarantees).
- Session organizers are expected to moderate their session and must confirm a co-moderator to assist with duties when the organizer is speaking and to serve as a backup in case the organizer becomes unavailable.
- Session organizers must submit an agenda grid by January 13 to have the session scheduled in the program.
- Session organizers must conduct at least one dry run via Zoom with all speakers two weeks prior to the session.
To participate in a session, all speakers must agree to the following requirements. If they do not accept these terms, they should not be confirmed as speakers.
- Sessions will be recorded and published on the GEER web site. By virtue of presenting, all speakers agree to be recorded and have their presentation shared publicly. This is mandatory to participate.
- Speakers should block their calendars for all possible dates. The agenda will be announced on February 9, 2021.
- There is a limit of one presentation per person (a regular talk, a lightning talk, or a poster).
- Speakers must submit an abstract no later than January 6. A $25 non-refundable submission fee applies.
- Speakers must register and pay the fee by March 5 to confirm participation as a presenter.
- Speakers must upload their FINAL presentation file to the FTP site no later than 10 calendar days prior to their talk. Because of the additional time required to prepare for virtual sessions, we will not be accepting multiple revisions of the same file, so they need to upload the FINAL VERSION. If speakers fail to submit their file by this deadline, they will be removed from the agenda.
- Lightning presenters must use the widescreen PowerPoint template provided by the organizers. If a lightning talk is submitted with more than five slides, extra slides will be automatically deleted from the end of the talk. There will be a 10-minute facilitated discussion period at the end of each lightning session.
- You must use THIS TEMPLATE to prepare your proposal and follow the instructions carefully.