January 28 - March 4, 2022
Course FULL. Contact Instructor for wait list.
(Course Code: us22-02)
Classroom Facilities Information
Lyonia Environmental Center (LEC)
2150 Eustace Ave. Deltona 32725
Longleaf Pine Preserve
3736 E New York Ave, DeLand, FL 32724
Clearwater Lake Recreation Area
24511 Co Rd. 42 Paisley 32767
Associate and Point of Contact: Kalan Taylor, Extension Director
Organization: UF/IFAS Extension Volusia County
Leads: Trey Hannah, Environmental Specialist II, Volusia County Environmental Management
Dennis Mudge, Retired Director, UF/IFAS Extension and
David Griffis, Stetson University Instructor and UF/IFAS Extension Emeritus
Tentative Course Agenda
Covid-19 safety precautions
To protect yourself and others from the Covid-19 virus, we expect all persons participating at in-person FMNP events to wear masks at events conducted in UF-owned facilities and any facility where the host’s policy is to wear masks indoors, even if you are vaccinated. Outdoor venues pose reduced risks but we encourage mask wearing and social distancing as personal choices.
Classroom Presentations: We will be meeting at a variety of locations throughout Volusia County, please pay close attention to the schedule. Instructors will provide detailed directions via email prior to the first class and ongoing throughout class prior to each field trip/new location. Please contact instructor if you have any questions. In the classroom, it might be very warm or very cool—please, dress accordingly.
On Your Own
Describes required course activities you are expected to complete on your own prior to the next Live Online Meeting time. Assignments could include sedentary activities using a computer, hands-on exercises to practice skills, and/or self-guided field explorations.
In-Person Field Trip
Locations and times subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances. It is the participant’s responsibility to verify meeting information. Transportation and lunches are not included. Times do not include travel time required to drive to meeting locations.
Course Time Schedule does not include travel time required to drive to meeting locations.
- You cannot miss more than 8 hours (20% of the 40 contact hours) This is a FMNP policy and cannot be modified by the Instructor.
- To receive certification, the 8 hours or less missed must be made up by completing an assignment of equal time and content. Approval of the Instructor is required.
- If total hours missed exceeds 8 hours, certification is not possible regardless of material made up.
- All absences should be discussed with the instructor in advance. In case of emergencies, please notify Instructor as soon as possible.
• Water is Required to be Carried with you – no exceptions.
• Bring water, snacks, field ID books, notepad and pen, binoculars, insect repellent, towels, and a change of clothes (spare shoes/socks/pants/shirt)
• Don’t wear perfume/cologne or use perfumed soap/body locations before going out in the field. This may attract more unwanted buzzing invertebrates known as mosquitoes, midge (no see ‘ems) and flies).
• There are insects (including mosquitoes), spiders, and snakes outdoors. Hopefully, we will see many of these beautiful creatures. Always watch where you are putting your hands and feet. Use your brain before your body.
• Required Always Wear Close-toed Shoes. The field trails are not always level or easy to travel; some plants have thorns; there my be poison ivy; fire ants, etc. Open-toed shoes are not acceptable to be worn in the field.
• Be aware that typically you will be experiencing a variety of environments. For your comfort, always bring a spare change of clothes.
• Wear: layered clothes, long sleeves and pants, hiking boots or appropriate footwear for the day’s field trip, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellent (especially on feet/legs).
• It might be hot on our field trips---please, dress accordingly.
“An Equal Opportunity Institution”