July 11 - September 5, 2022
Class filled. Contact Instructor for wait list
(Course Code: fs22-08)
In-Person Class Facility (Day 5)
Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium
Keatng Building, Room 217 (Coral Classroom)
1599 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236
Lead and Point of Contact: Jason Robertshaw, Program Manager for Virtual Learning
Organization: Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium
Tentative Course Agenda
Scroll through the Agenda below to view all dates
Covid-19 safety precautions
In light of the latest CDC updates and guidance from UF health experts, we no longer require masks during in-person FMNP activities but welcome masks for those who wish to wear them and voice support for those who do.
Live Online Meeting
Indicates when you are required to be online (Zoom) at the designated time to participate in course presentations, discussions, and activities. Attendance will be taken by the instructor. To participate, you must have:
- Zoom application downloaded to their personal computer (https://zoom.us/)
- An internet connection suitable for live streaming (wired or wireless)
- Headset, or speakers and microphone (most laptops have this included)
- Web camera (most laptops have this included)
- A quiet location where you will not be disturbed
On Your Own
Describes required course activities you are expected to complete on your own prior to the next Live Online Meeting time. Assignments could include sedentary activities using a computer, hands-on exercises to practice skills, and/or self-guided field explorations.
In-Person Field Trips
Locations and times subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances. It is the participant’s responsibility to verify meeting information. Transportation and lunches are not included. Times do not include travel time required to drive to meeting locations.• Water is Required to be Carried with you – no exceptions.
• Bring water, snacks, field ID books, notepad and pen, binoculars, insect repellent, towels, and a change of clothes (spare shoes/socks/pants/shirt)
• Don’t wear perfume/cologne or use perfumed soap/body locations before going out in the field. This may attract more unwanted buzzing invertebrates known as mosquitoes, midge (no see ‘ems) and flies).
• There are insects (including mosquitoes), spiders, and snakes outdoors. Hopefully, we will see many of these beautiful creatures. Always watch where you are putting your hands and feet. Use your brain before your body.
• Required Always Wear Close-toed Shoes. The field trails are not always level or easy to travel; some plants have thorns; there my be poison ivy; fire ants, etc. Open-toed shoes are not acceptable to be worn in the field.
• Be aware that typically you will be experiencing a variety of environments.
• Wear: layered clothes, long sleeves and pants, hiking boots or appropriate footwear for the day’s field trip, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellent (especially on feet/legs).
• It might be hot on our field trips---please, dress accordingly.
- You cannot miss more than 8 hours (20% of the 40 contact hours) This is a FMNP policy and cannot be modified by the Instructor.
- To receive certification, the 8 hours or less missed must be made up by completing an assignment of equal time and content. Approval of the Instructor is required.
- If total hours missed exceeds 8 hours, certification is not possible regardless of material made up.
- All absences should be discussed with the instructor in advance. In case of emergencies, please notify Instructor as soon as possible.
“An Equal Opportunity Institution”