October 15 - November 19, 2021
Class filled. Contact Instructor for wait list
(Course Code: fs21-10)
Classroom Facility Information
Charlotte Harbor Environmental Center (CHEC)
10941 Burnt Store Rd, Punta Gorda, FL 33955
Lead and Point of Contact: Jamie Reynolds, Volunteer
Associate: Glen McLean, Volunteer
Tentative Course Agenda (revised 9/13/21)
|Day 1||Friday, October 15, 2021|
|8:30am – 10:00am||Introduction, Pre-test, Expectations, etc.|
|10:00am – 11:30am||Ecology – Glen McLean|
|11:30am – 12:45pm||Forested Wetlands – Jamie Reynolds|
|12:45pm – 1:45pm||Lunch & Travel|
|1:45pm – 5:00pm||Field Trip –Footprints Trail – Cypress swamp|
|Day 2||Friday, October 22, 2021|
|8:30am – 12:00pm||Field Trip – Babcock Wildlife Management – Marshes; Hydric Flatwoods|
|12:00pm – 1:00pm||Travel & Lunch|
|1:00pm – 1:15pm||Recap; Q&A|
|1:15pm – 4:15pm||Amphibians & Reptiles – Guest Speaker: Bob O’Horo, FWC|
|4:15pm – 5:00pm||Video - Swamps|
|Day 3||Friday, October 29, 2021|
|8:30am – 8:45am||Recap; Q&A|
|8:45am – 10:00am||Herbaceous wetlands|
|10:00am – 11:30am||Birds – Guest Speaker: Mike Weisensee, President Audubon Sarasota|
|11:30am – 12:45pm||Lunch & Travel|
|12:45pm – 4:15pm||Field Trip – Babcock Preserve /Footprints Trail – Swamp|
|Day 4||Friday, November 5, 2021 (Ollie's Pond Park & CHEC)|
|8:00am – 10:00am||Location: Ollie’s Pond Park
Birding a Manmade Pond
Student interpretative Talks
|10:00am – 10:30am||Travel|
|10:30am – 10:45am||Recap; Q&A|
|10:45am – 12:15pm||Permanent Wetlands – Glen McLean|
|12:15pm – 12:45pm||Lunch|
|12:45pm – 2:15pm||Freshwater Fish – Guest Speaker: Josh Olive, Publisher of Waterline, FMN|
|2:15pm – 3:15pm||Interpretation – Guest Speaker: Stephanie Courtney, FMN|
|3:15pm – 4:00pm||Video - Marshes|
|Day 5||Friday, November 12, 2021|
|8:30am – 8:45am||Recap; Q&A|
|8:45am -10:15am||Invertebrates – Guest Speaker: Ralph Mitchell, Charlotte Co. Extension Agent|
|10:15am – 11:45am||Mammals – Guest Speaker: Robin Jenkins, Veterinarian at
Peace River Wildlife Center
|11:45am – 12:15pm||Lunch|
|12:15pm – 1:00pm||Video – Lakes, Rivers & Springs|
|1:00pm – 3:00pm||Ethics & Group Activity – Glen McLean|
|3:00pm – 4:00pm||Movie & Discussion: Wetlands and Modern Human Society|
|Day 6||Friday, November 19, 2021|
|9:00am – 2:00pm||Final Projects, Post-test , Course Evaluation & Graduation|
Please call or text us if you will be missing a class, if you will be late for a class or a field trip, or if you have any questions regarding the class.
Classroom Presentations: “Classroom” means we are at Charlotte Harbor Environmental Center unless otherwise instructed. In the classroom, it might be very warm or very cool—please, dress accordingly.
Field Trip Locations & Times may change due to unforeseen circumstances. It is the student's responsibility to verify field information. Transportation and lunches are not included. Mid-week you will receive an email with detailed instructions for getting to the site. Please follow the directions we give you; road signs and GPS do not always take you to our meeting point.
- You cannot miss more than 8 hours (20% of the 40 contact hours) - a FMNP policy and cannot be modified by the Instructor.
- To receive certification, the 8 hours or less missed must be made up by completing an assignment of equal time and content. Approval of the Instructor is required.
- If total hours missed exceeds 8 hours, certification is not possible regardless of material made up.
- All absences should be discussed with the instructor in advance. In case of emergencies, please notify Instructor as soon as possible.
- During class time or on a field trip each student will give a 5 minute presentation to the class on a topic related to the course material.
- Each student will participate in a 20 minute group presentation on the last day of class. Please form a group of at least 3 people for your group presentation.
- In class we will assist you in forming groups and developing presentation topics.
- The schedule times listed are as close as possible, but we need you to be flexible.
- We probably will not get out early; however, we may run late. We will try to stick to the listed times, but please arrange your schedule so that the class can be flexible.
Food & Drinks: You may bring food, and you may eat or snack during class. We discourage use of plastic water bottles and Styrofoam containers.
Cell Phones: Please don’t allow them to ring during classroom sessions or on field trips. Take your calls outside the classroom or step away from the group if on a field trip.