Palm Beach County
February 23 - March 8, 2023
Registration closes at Noon on February 22, 2023
(Course Code: IP23-05)
In-Person Class Facilities (Revised 1-19-23)
Gumbo Limbo Nature Center
1801 N. Ocean Blvd, Boca Raton, FL 33432
UF/IFAS Extension Palm Beach Co. Office: Mounts Auditorium
531 N Military Trl, West Palm Beach, FL 33415
Lead and Point of Contact: Chris Lockhart, Plant Ecologist
Organization: Habitat Specialists, Inc.
Associates: Autumn Kioti, Wildness is Necessary and Katie Grablow
Assistant: Natalie Frendberg, Sustainability Office, Palm Beach County
Tentative Course Agenda (Revised 1-19-23)
Scroll through the Agenda below to view all dates
Covid-19 safety precautions
In light of the latest CDC updates and guidance from UF health experts, we no longer require masks during in-person FMNP activities but welcome masks for those who wish to wear them and voice support for those who do.
Live Online Meeting indicates when you are required to be online (via Zoom) at the designated time to participate in course presentations, discussions, and activities. Attendance will be taken by the instructor.
To participate, you must have:
•Downloaded to latest version of Zoom (https://zoom.us/)
• An internet connection suitable for live streaming (wired or wireless)
• Headset, or speakers and microphone (most laptops have this included)
• Web camera (most laptops have this included)
• A quiet location where you will not be disturbed
In-person Meetings indicated on the agenda. Check with instructor regarding Zoom option, if needed.
On Your Own: describes required course activities you are expected to complete by the requested deadline.
- You cannot miss more than 4.75 hours (20% of the 24 contact hours) This is a FMNP policy and cannot be modified by the Instructor.
- To receive certification, the 4.75 hours or less missed must be made up by completing an assignment of equal time and content. Approval of the Instructor is required.
- If total hours missed exceeds 4.75 hours, certification is not possible regardless of material made up.
- All absences should be discussed with the instructor in advance. In case of emergencies, please notify Instructor as soon as possible.
Field trip locations and times may change due to unforeseen circumstances. It is the student’s responsibility to verify field information. Transportation and lunches are not included. Carpooling is suggested.
- Water is Required to be Carried with You – No Exceptions.
- Bring: water, snacks, field ID books, notepad and pen, binoculars, insect repellent, towels, and a change of clothes (spare shoes/socks/pants/shirt).
- Don’t wear perfume/cologne or use perfumed soap/body lotion before going out in the field. This may attract more unwanted buzzing invertebrates known as mosquitoes, midges (no see ‘ems) and flies.
- There are insects (including mosquitoes), spiders, and snakes outdoors. Hopefully, we will see many of these beautiful creatures. Always watch where you are putting your hands and feet. Use your brain before your body.
- Required: Always Wear Close-toed Shoes. The field trails are not always level or easy to travel; some plants have thorns; there may be poison ivy; fire ants, etc. Open-toed shoes are not acceptable to be worn in the field.
- Be aware that typically you will be experiencing a variety of environments. For your comfort, always bring a spare change of clothes.
- Wear: layered clothes, long sleeves and pants, hiking boots or appropriate foot-wear for the day’s field trip, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellent (especially on feet/legs).
- It might be very hot on our field trips—please, dress accordingly.
Flexible Schedule - Agenda Details are Subject to Change:
- The schedule times listed are as close as possible, but we need you to be flexible.
- We probably will not get out early; however, we may run late. We will try to stick to the listed times, but please arrange your schedule so that the class can be flexible.
- Course time schedule does not include your travel time (except between AM & PM classes).
Cell Phones: They are fine to use outside of class. Please don’t allow them to ring during classroom sessions or on field trips. Talk on the gadgets during break time, lunchtime, before and after class.
“An Equal Opportunity Institution”