St. Johns County
March 4-6, 2020
Full - Contact Instructor for wait list
(Course Code: CR20-02)
Classroom Facilities Information
GTM National Estuarine Research Reserve
1. Environmental Education Center (EEC)
505 Guana River Rd, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
2. Marineland Field Office (MFO)
9741 Ocean Shore Blvd, Palm Coast, FL 32137
Lead and Point of Contact: Kelly Ussia, Naturalist, St. Johns County Parks & Recreation
Organization: St. Johns County Parks and Recreation
Tentative Course Agenda
|Day 1||Wednesday, March 4, 2020 (EEC)|
|9:00am - 10:00am||Welcome, introductions, pre-test|
|10:00am - 10:30am||GTM Welcome and Shoreline Assessments|
|10:30am - 11:30am||Living Shorelines presentation|
|11:30am - 12:00pm||Demo Site, Evolution of Research|
|12:00pm - 1:00pm||Lunch
Exploration of the Education Center
|1:00pm - 2:00pm||Oyster Reefs Presentation|
|2:00pm - 3:00pm||Oyster Reef Designs, Recycling, current evolution of reefs|
|3:00pm - 4:30pm||Closer look at planting restoration, importance of plants, role they play in
|4:30pm - 5:00pm||Wrap-up|
|Day 2||Thursday, March 5, 2020 (EEC)|
|9:00am - 10:00am||Salt Marsh Restoration|
|10:00am - 10:30am||Restoration Site overview|
|10:30am - 11:30am||Prep for Restoration Project
|11:30am - 3:30pm||Restoration Site: Monitoring, Assessments, Install Restoration Project|
|3:30pm - 4:30pm||Project cleanup and debrief|
|4:30pm - 5:30pm||Wrap-up|
|Day 3||Friday,March 6, 2020 (Marineland - MFO)|
|9:00am - 10:00am||Mangrove Restoration presentation|
|10:00am - 10:30am||Sea Level Rise presentation|
|10:30am - 11:30am||Working lunch
Mangrove restoration videos
|11:30am - 12:30pm||
Meet at field trip site (walk outside)
|12:30pm - 4:00pm||Meet at field trip site (walk outside)
Field Identification of mangroves
Discuss migration of mangroves north
Discuss future potential for mangroves to be incorporated into future local restoration projects
|4:00pm - 5:00pm||Post-test, evaluations, graduation|
Field Trip Locations & Times may change due to unforeseen circumstances (this rarely happens). It is the student’s responsibility to verify field information. Transportation and lunches are not included.
Course Time Schedule does not include travel time, except between AM & PM classes.
Students need to bring lunch and water bottle to all classes.
More details will be provided prior to the first class.
Most activities will be outside in a shoreline environment and may involve walking or paddling for 2-4 hours.
- You cannot miss more than 4.75 hours (20% of the 24 contact hours) This is a FMNP policy and cannot be modified by the Instructor.
- To receive certification, the 4.75 hours or less missed must be made up by completing an assignment of equal time and content. Approval of the Instructor is required.
- If total hours missed exceeds 4.75 hours, certification is not possible regardless of material made up.
- All absences should be discussed with the instructor in advance. In case of emergencies, please notify Instructor as soon as possible.