St. Johns County
March 18-20, 2019
Full. Contact instructor for wait list
(Course Code: CR19-03)
Classroom Facilities Information
GTM National Estuarine Research Reserve
1. Environmental Education Center (EEC)
505 Guana River Rd, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
2. Marineland Field Office (MFO)
9741 Ocean Shore Blvd, Palm Coast, FL 32137
Lead and Point of Contact: Kelly Ussia, Naturalist, St. Johns County Parks & Recreation
Lead: Justina Dacey, UF/IFAS Extension Nassau County
Organizations: St. Johns County Parks and Recreation and UF/IFAS Extension Nassau County
Tentative Course Agenda
|Day 1||Monday, March 18, 2019 (EEC)|
|9:00am - 10:30am||Welcome, introductions, pre-test|
|10:30am - 11:15am||Living Shorelines presentation|
|11:15am - 12:30pm||Oyster Reefs presentation|
|12:30pm - 1:30pm||Lunch/ Exploration of the Education Center|
|1:30pm - 4:30pm||Learn about Oyster Recycling Program, visit Oyster Restoration Demo Sites, meet with local professionals doing oyster reef monitoring and restoration, hands-on oyster bagging|
|4:30pm - 5:00pm||Wrap-up|
|Day 2||Tuesday, March 19, 2019 (EEC)|
|9:00am - 9:30am||Shell Bluff Case Study|
|9:30am - 11:30am||Shell Bluff hike/site visit|
|11:30am - 1:00pm||Salt Marsh Restoration Presentation|
|1:00pm - 1:30pm||Lunch/ travel to Usina Boat Ramp|
|1:30pm - 4:30pm||Living shoreline restoration installation. Placement of oyster reefs. Planting of shoreline vegetation.|
|4:30pm - 5:30pm||Wrap-up|
|Day 3||Wednesday, March 20, 2019 (MFO)|
|9:00am - 10:00am||Mangrove Restoration presentation|
|10:00am - 11:30am||Sea Level Rise presentation|
|11:30am - 12:30pm||Working lunch/mangrove restoration videos|
|12:30pm - 4:00pm||Meet at field trip site (walk outside)
Field Identification of mangroves
Discuss migration of mangroves north
Discuss future potential for mangroves to be incorporated into future local restoration projects
|4:00pm - 5:00pm||Post-test, evaluations, graduation|
Field Trip Locations & Times may change due to unforeseen circumstances. It is the student’s responsibility to verify field information. Transportation and lunches are not included.
Course Time Schedule does not include travel time, except between AM & PM classes. Times above include breaks.
Students need to bring lunch and water bottle to all classes.
More details will be provided prior to the first class.
Most activities will be outside in a shoreline environment and may involve walking or paddling for 2-4 hours.
- You cannot miss more than 4.5 hours (20% of the 24 contact hours) This is a FMNP policy and cannot be modified by the Instructor.
- To receive certification, the 4.5 hours or less missed must be made up by completing an assignment of equal time and content. Approval of the Instructor is required.
- If total hours missed exceeds 4.5 hours, certification is not possible regardless of material made up.
- All absences should be discussed with the instructor in advance. In case of emergencies, please notify Instructor as soon as possible.