Call for Session Proposals
Session Proposals Due: Friday, August 23, 2019
The Biogeo 2020 Planning Committee looks to those in the field of biogeochemistry to assist with developing the program agenda and invites you to propose a session related to your expertise. Topics of focus are listed on the Session Themes & Topics Page but don’t feel limited to these areas. We seek to capture all emerging issues and new ideas.
Steps to Develop a Proposal
- Define the purpose, focus and overarching message of the proposed session.
- Confirm five colleagues to present a diverse perspective on your session theme.
- Write a session proposal using this template.
- Use the online submission form to submit a proposal by Friday, August 23, 2019.
Session Format: Each session is 90-minutes long and entails a 5-minute introduction, five 15-minute talks forming a cohesive theme and a 10-minute facilitated Q&A discussion at the end.
There are no panels or discussion-only sessions.
Proposal Evaluation Criteria
Selection is based on content and expected level of interest in the topic, structure, and overall relevance to the conference and the session's potential for generating useful results and dialogue among attendees. Preference is given to sessions that focus on new and emerging science, that are integrative in nature, and/or that communicate interdisciplinary science effectively to a broad audience.
Session Speaker Requirements:
- Be available during conference dates (April 27-30, 2020).
- Submit an abstract by the deadline of Friday, November 22, 2019.
- Pay the $25 abstract submission fee per abstract (non-refundable).
- Comply with the limit of one oral presentation per person. If approached by more than one session organizer, they must choose only one. However, speakers may also present a poster if they wish.
- Register for the conference and pay the applicable registration fee, which we anticipate will be approximately $525-for government, non-profit and industry representatives, and $325 for students and retirees.
- There will be no one-day registration fees.
Session Organizer Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary contact for the session. We communicate with one official representative per session.
- Adhere to all published deadlines.
- Communicate participation instructions to your speakers by Friday, October 4, 2019. Copy and paste this pre-scripted email in a message to all of your speakers.
- Ensure your session presenters submit abstracts by Friday, November 22, 2019.
- Confirm a moderator by Wednesday, December 4, 2019. The Moderator does not give a formal talk and is not required to submit an abstract.
- Submit a completed agenda grid by Friday, December 6, 2019. After abstract submission closes, we will email you a template. Please fill in the final session title, moderator name, and speaker names with talk titles in the proper order.
- Make sure all session presenters are registered and confirmed by Friday, February 14, 2020.