Call for Workshop Proposals
Submission deadline has passed
The ACES 2020 conference central theme is "Focusing on the Future of Ecosystem Services" with an emphasis placed on accelerating the use of ecosystem services for land and resource management and fostering the next generation of ecosystem service researchers and practitioners.
The Program Committee is seeking input from the community and invites you to submit a pre-conference workshop proposal. Workshops should be interactive and hands on by design and provide an informal setting where participants can discuss technical topics and engage in an active exchange of ideas.
Pre-conference workshops will be held Monday, December 14, 2020.
We encourage ideas related to Science Communication which may include communication techniques for working with stakeholders, decision-makers, and the public; building interdisciplinary teams, interdisciplinary education, and cross-discipline communication. We also encourage ideas for workshops organized to develop a specific objective during the workshop time.
All ecosystem services related research and applications proposals are welcome; we especially encourage ideas on these topics:
- Ecosystem Services* in Action – land and resource management using ecosystem services, case studies encouraged
- Human Physical and Mental Health Benefits of Ecosystem Services – translation of ecosystem function to human health outcomes and valuation; mental health studies of ecosystem services
- Cultural Ecosystem Services – non-use ecosystem services methods and valuation
*Ecosystem services may be known as an alternative name (natural capital, ecological benefits, etc.) – terminology should not limit submission of ideas.
Steps to Develop a Workshop Proposal
- Define the purpose, focus and overarching message of the proposed workshop.
- Decide on your preferred timeframe (half day or full day) and invite the appropriate colleagues for the workshop to present a diverse perspective.
- Confirm invited colleagues agree to register, pay and attend if your workshop is accepted.
- Write a session proposal using this template and use the online form to submit by February 26, 2020.
Workshop Time Allowance
Pre-conference workshops will either be half day or full day. Half day workshops are 4 hours long including a 15-minute break. Full day workshops are 9 hours long including two 15-minute breaks and an hour lunch break.
Proposal Evaluation Criteria
Selection is based on content and expected level of interest, and the session's potential for generating useful results and dialogue among attendees. Preference will be given to sessions that are interactive in nature and allow for hands-on training and/or audience engagement.
Registration Required to Participate
Workshop organizers, speakers and moderators are expected to register and pay for the conference before September 10, 2020 to confirm participation on the program agenda. Conference organizers reserve the right to cancel any session if deadlines are missed by the session organizer and/or speakers. We strongly encourage attendance and participation in the conference beyond just this workshop.
Workshop Organizer Responsibilities
If your proposal is accepted, your responsibilities as a workshop organizer include:
- Invite and confirm appropriate number of speakers for your workshop with diverse perspectives to share their views on the specified workshop topic.
- Identify a replacement speaker if someone cancels.
- Serve as the primary contact for the workshop. We communicate with one official representative per session.
- Communicate participation instructions and deadlines to your speakers.
- Ensure speakers who wish to submit individual abstracts (not required for workshops) have done so by June 22, 2020.
- Confirm a moderator proficient in managing speaker timing and facilitating interactive dialogue by July 8, 2020. The workshop organizer often serves as moderator.
- Submit a final workshop description by July 8, 2020.
- Ensure all speakers register and pay to confirm participation by September 10, 2020.
|Workshop Proposal Submission Deadline||February 26, 2020|
|Proposal Status Notifications Delivered||April 27, 2020|
|Call for Abstracts Opens||May 4, 2020|
|Abstract Submission Deadline||June 22, 2020|
|Workshop Description Submission Deadline||July 8, 2020|
|Speaker Registration Deadline||September 10, 2020|
|Final Workshop Summary Deadline||January 15, 2020|
Contact Kristin Zupancic at firstname.lastname@example.org