ACES: A Community on Ecosystem Services
Focusing on the Future of Ecosystem Services
Recently, we have seen substantial progress regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and a return to normalcy. We are very optimistic; however, we are hearing from many in the community that travel restrictions and challenges are likely to remain in effect through the end of 2021. As a result, we are adapting to the changing situation and have made the difficult decision to postpone the full in-person ACES 2021 conference. We will resume our normal, bi-annual conference schedule, so save the dates December 12-16, 2022, for our next in-person conference. More information on location will be sent at a later date.
We have received rich content for organized sessions and will work with session organizers to bring that information to you in person at the 2022 conference. We also anticipate a call for individual abstracts for the 2022 conference.
In 2021, we want to use the virtual platform to connect with the community on timely ecosystem services topics and elicit input to develop a set of recommendations to help move the science into practice. With this input we will charge a small writing team with formalizing the ACES community perspective and communicate that to policy makers.
Mark your calendars for December 7-9, 2021 for the ACES virtual roundtable!!
We are further developing the content, but you can expect the following topics/timeslots (all times are EST):
Tuesday, December 7, 2021 | 1:30pm to 3:30pm
- ACES 2021 Roundtable – Welcome & Opening Address
- Pathways for Advancing Adoption and Implementation of Ecosystem Services - Moderated Panel Session Led by Carl Shapiro
Wednesday, December 8, 2021 | 10:00am to 12:00pm
- The Intersection between Climate Change and Ecosystem Services - Moderated Panel Session
Wednesday, December 8, 2021 | 1:30pm to 3:30pm
- A Focus on Cultural Ecosystem Services – Organized Session with Lightning Talks Led by Kristin Hoelting and Rachelle Gould
Thursday, December 9, 2021; 1:30pm to 3:30pm
- Community Brainstorming Session: Facilitated Breakout Sessions to identify recommendations for pathways to advance adoption and implementation of Ecosystem Services into practice.
- Closing & Next Steps
Detailed information about the panels, speakers and additional information about the important brainstorming breakouts will be shared later.
There have been significant advances, opportunities, and challenges in the ecosystems services community, and we are excited for the opportunity to engage in 2021 and 2022!