Oral presentations are an integral part of the ACES 2018 educational program. Speakers are encouraged to produce a PowerPoint presentation to accompany their talk as a visual reference for the audience. Speakers are asked to prepare their presentation with the following information in mind. Should you have any questions about these instructions, please contact Kristin Zupancic at email@example.com or 352-294-3582.
Presenters speaking in concurrent sessions are required to submit an abstract, either for individual oral presentation consideration or as part of an approved organized session. Abstract submission is the first step in confirming and preparing for an individual's presentation.
Presenters giving talks in concurrent sessions each receive 20 minutes, comprised of 15 minutes of prepared comments (with or without PowerPoint slides) and a minimum of 5 minutes of audience Q&A and open group discussion.
Plenary session speakers will receive individual instructions for their presentations as each plenary timeslot varies in structure and timing.
All presenters must register for the conference and pay the applicable fee by September 10, 2018 in order to CONFIRM their participation as a presenter, secure a space in the program, and have their abstract published in the conference Book of Abstracts. If your talk will be given by a colleague, please inform Kristin Zupancic immediately so that your presentation may be confirmed.
In the event a situation arises that would prevent you from honoring your commitment, we trust that speakers will alert us immediately. If possible, we ask that presenters use diligent efforts to help us locate a qualified substitute, thereby preventing the program from being compromised.
Speaker Presentation File Submissions – Due the Day Prior to Your Talk
- IMPORTANT: Submit your PowerPoint presentation at the AV Download Station in the Registration area the day prior to your talk. The AV Download Station will be located in the Crystal Gateway Marriott Hotel Conference Center. Staff will ensure your presentation loads and projects correctly, and familiarize you with the equipment. (Monday presenters may submit their presentation Sunday, December 2nd from 5:00pm-7:00pm).
- The preferred format for PowerPoint files at ACES 2018 is 4:3 (standard definition). However, 16:9 presentations can still be accommodated — they will be projected with a blank bar on the top and bottom of the screen.
- Your presentation will be set-up in advance to facilitate a smooth transition from one speaker to the next.
- We will accept presentation files on flash drives or via email:
- Label your flash drive with your contact information if dropping off onsite at the Registration desk, OR
- Email your presentation in advance to Jessica Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Note: Even if submitting your presentation via email, ALL presenters must still check-in at the AV Download Station at conference Registration prior to their talk to confirm that their presentation is playing normally.
Audiovisual Equipment Available
NOTE: A volunteer will be assigned to each room to assist with equipment operation during the session.
- Presentation PC laptop with 2013 Microsoft PowerPoint application
- We encourage you to use the presentation laptop offered by the conference. Should you decide to use your own laptop, you will need to test your laptop one day prior to your talk, and your laptop will need to be set in the meeting room prior to your session beginning. Bring your power cord, computer cable and, if using a Mac, an adapter. Label your laptop and touch base with the moderator in your session room prior to your talk.
- One LCD computer projector and screen
- One podium microphone
- One lavalier (lapel) microphone
- One handheld microphone
- Confidence monitor at podium (plenary session room only)
- A wireless presentation remote control – one option to advance and reverse slides
Tips for Developing Your PowerPoint Presentation
- Embed graphs or figures into the document as independent objects; do not dynamically link from other programs.
- Attempt to limit file size to 25 MB and less. Photos for slides can be compressed and saved in a lower resolution to reduce size.
- Disable any automatic advance timer on your file.
- Click here for more important tips!
Each session will be facilitated by a moderator who is responsible for keeping speakers on time. Plan to arrive at the session 5 minutes prior to the published start time and introduce yourself to the moderator. They will review the speaker timing method with you. Be sure they know how to pronounce your name for introduction. It is best to sit in the front row for convenient access to the stage/podium.